Sunday, December 20, 2009

Who is Krupali?

I'm a board certified radiation oncologist, who grew up in southern California. I did my undergraduate education at the University of Southern California majoring in Biology and Sociology.

I went onto medical school at UCLA, where I took a year off in between third and fourth years to pursue a research fellowship at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland. This was followed by residency training in my specialty.

Beyond the education, I'm an avid world traveler: from the Galapagos Islands, to roaming around in Bhutan, to horseback riding in the Tibetan Valley. I enjoy seeing the world and particularly love going to off-the-wall places. I don't mind being in places where I know nobody, and don't understand the language. Being immersed in something completey foreign to me, keeps me yearning to learn more.

I recently got PADI Scuba Diving cerftification and had the opportunity to go dive the Great Barrier Reef. Seeing the world from the ocean is a complete dream for me.

Other hobbies of mine include photography (I'm a complete amateur and just enjoy clicking away at anything and everything), writing (hence this blog), social media, attending sporting events, reading, movies, and learning new things (from knitting to surfing, i'm pretty much game for anything and everything).

I'm very passionate about life, the people in it, and the patients who walk into my clinic.

In short, about me:

I love meeting people who dream big....people who love to laugh....meeting new people...silly people...people who make me think.... people who love adventure...people who like to do rather than sit and watch the world go by...people who dare to do the unthinkable...people who don't follow the norm...people who make me smile...people who believe the impossible is possible....

I am a random soul...who knocks on doors.. and believes that anything can be made into reality.

Who I want to MEET?

Witty overachievers, ambitious save-the-world types who still maintain a sense of humor, people who hope to accomplish great things and have big dreams, a sense of idealism, unceasing curiosity and passion for something...

11 comments:

  1. Krupali, your profile is quite exciting in itself. You are an inspiration. Although I am med graduate, I have not seen many cancer pts but came across a number of pts with varieties of infectious diseases and got enough of those myself. I know how I people feel when they have those disease conditions. I read some of your blog entries, you write so well! Have you been to my country~the country of tallest mountains and the "Yeti"-mountain men?
    Hope to read more from you.
    Laxmi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed your recent talk at #140. Go Bruins!! -- @karinagrotz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just stumbled across your blog - someone posted it on FBook - Amazing work you're doing! Would love to connect with you about video/film potential, capture these stories with another layer. Am in Ghana doing this type of work with projects in the health field as well.

    Keep going, you are making a difference in many people's lives, those you touch through your hands, and through your words as well.

    x Niyati

    ReplyDelete
  4. Krupali
    I am person you met this evening that has urgent pediatric situation with baby of one of our Jinja staff. THANK YOU SO MUCH for your passionate response to help us. I've just posted an entry on our blog. Your appeal to your network is most appreciated. I'll try to see you tomorrow when I bring lots of our kids to the clinic in Jinja.
    Blessings, Paul

    ReplyDelete
  5. Would love to chat sometime! Read a few of your posts (starting with the one about getting cake for a patient). Feel free to ping me @ryanjwitt (twitter feed) or via email. 5 to 15min mtg? Are you in SoCal still?

    All the best,
    -Ryan
    founder/pres www.innovationandchoice.com (nonprofit to educate patients about innovative approaches in medicine)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My dad has small cell lung cancer and is weighing the benefits of having any treatment at all. He wants quality of life not quantity. And I feel guilty cause I want him here for as long as possible. I am lost as to help him. I am numb and he has everything planned out for after he's gone down to arranging for someone to mow the grass for my mom. I would luv to talk to U about the situation. Would that be possible? If so pls email me at pattysbrat@aol.com. Ty so much. I hope you can advise me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Landed on your blog coz I ended up following padmasree on twitter and eventually you, coz of the cancer connection. Have been around a couple of times on this blog, encouraging read it was through out, more for the push to be more human and poignant about human lives. Respect and keep up your good work.
    Fraud_mallu

    ReplyDelete
  8. HEllo-
    I read your story of the patient Robert Gupta played for.I am a violinist in So. Cal too, and have twice played over the phone for people at the very end. One, a friend who was dying of colon cancer, and the other, my uncle who was in and out of a coma after a stroke. In both cases, the people who were in the room said that the patients either smiled or changed facial expressions in some way. Since I was close to both people, it was difficult but I was glad my playing seemed to bring something to them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello,
    I came across this tweet in twitter and felt that you are one of the right person to share it with as I have been reading your blog & following you on twitter (my twitter id - daintyiron). Since I did not know any other way how to reach you, I am posting this message here
    " Alice is 15 & has terminal cancer. She created a list of things she would like to do. Can anyone help? http://goo.gl/X8Vdc"

    Sorry for posting it in the not-so right place.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Found you from Womens Health Mag and started ripping out the interview/article before I even finished reading about you...I was so inspired.

    I'm Christina's sister, and she has stage IV neuroendocrine cancer. Last 3.5 years have been rough, and only getting harder last 3 months.

    Every day I try and build my company (GOTRIbal) I think about the positive impact it has on women's health and hope that one day it will be the reason more women prevent cancer from ever touching their lives.

    Hope to be connected with you personally as I could learn a lot from you!

    Onward and upward, always.
    Tanya Maslach
    Founder - GOTRIbal
    ...where it's not about the event...
    It's about the lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Dr. Tejura,

    My name is Vid Yogeswaran and I'm a student at CWRU. I had bumped into some of your tweets on twitter and felt inspired to check out your blog--and you are the epitome of everything I see myself being. From your fascination with making birthdays important--I'm a huge fan of surprise parties...even though the surprise usually gets ruined-- to your goal of meeting more ambitious funny save the world types. I had always thought I was one of the few people that thought this way but I will definitely be keeping tabs on your tweets and posts.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete